While Major League Soccer (MLS) is slightly less esteemed than traditional European powerhouses like the Premier League and La Liga, it has steadily grown a dedicated fanbase. And since the league’s inception, Massachusetts has been an MLS staple with the hometown New England Revolution representing one of the original 10 franchises.
As the league has grown, so too has MLS betting. Here’s a look at how to bet on the MLS online in Massachusetts plus live odds direct from MA sportsbooks.
Best MLS betting sites in MA
Here is a look at some industry-leading MLS betting sites in Massachusetts and what they offer:
DraftKings Sportsbook Massachusetts
This MA-based sportsbook is a great option to consider, with competitive odds and one of the most eclectic ranges of betting options in the market. Some key features of the DraftKings MA Sportsbook app include:
- Good MLS odds on point spreads, moneylines and point totals
- Extensive game prop options, including more obscure bets (i.e., odds on header goals, race to three corners) and a vast range of player props for many different statistical categories
- Furiously updated live betting options
- New user sign-up bonuses
FanDuel Sportsbook Massachusetts
FanDuel is another excellent option to consider with all kinds of flexibility regarding what you can bet. The FanDuel Massachusetts Sportsbook app offers:
- Good soccer betting odds
- Flexible same-game parlays combining multiple bets for the same contest
- Live betting options on game lines and props
- Bets on every aspect of a match, including penalties and results, and both teams to score
- More futures bets than on DraftKings, including conference winners and Supporters’ Shield winner
- New user sign-up bonuses
BetMGM Sportsbook Massachusetts
Another sportsbook with a long track record of reliability, BetMGM offers some solid MLS betting options. The following are featured on BetMGM MA Sportsbook:
- Handicaps on MLS betting lines (adjusted lines)
- A wide range of pre-game micro bets, including first-half odds and point totals
- Several options, including 15 minutes bets, both teams to score and exact score
- Live betting with adjusted odds
- New user sign-up bonuses
Caesars Sportsbook Massachusetts
Caesars Sports is yet another compelling sportsbook for MLS betting. Offerings on the Caesars Massachusetts Sportsbook app include:
- MLS betting odds for every game
- Frequent promotions and boosted odds on select games
- Live betting
- New user sign-up bonuses
What differentiates these MLS betting sites?
All four sportsbooks are viable options, with extensive and unique offerings. If you want to bet on game outcomes, you can’t go wrong with any of these choices.
If you are interested in the broader selection of game and player props, FanDuel and DraftKings have the most extensive offerings in those categories. Both books also offer a bit more flexibility when constructing parlays.
Also, note that Caesars has the fewest betting options on MLS games, but the boosted odds bonuses it offers can provide bettors with great value.
Then, BetMGM offers an exciting opportunity for MLS fans to win $50,000 without placing a bet with its MLS Predict 6 contest. Every week, you pick the outcome of six matches (win, loss or draw).
You’ll then select match action, such as who will score first, for bonus points. Submit your picks, and if they’re all correct, you could win $50,000. You just need a free MLS network account to participate.
It’s worth shopping around multiple sportsbooks to explore which have the best MLS odds for a given game. You should also track their current MA sportsbook promos and sign-up bonuses.
How to sign up for an online betting account
Creating a new account at your sportsbook of choice is simple. Just follow this easy multi-step process, and you will be ready to make your first MLS bets.
- Click one of the links on this page to download a sportsbook app
- Enter your personal information (Name, age, address, etc.)
- Enter a sports betting promo code
- Make your first deposit
- Scroll through the betting menu to MLS options
- Click on any posted game to see current moneylines, spreads and totals
- Check the player props tab for odds on MLS athletes
Live MLS odds
How to bet on the MLS online in Massachusetts
When sizing up an MLS game, keep a few elements in mind. Here is some context using a mock MLS betting line:
|New England Revolution
|Over 2.5 (-110)
|New York City FC
|Under 2.5 (-110)
In this example, tonight’s New England Revolution odds show they’re the underdogs, with New York favored to win the game by 1.5 goals. A bet on the New England point spread would mean that your bet would cash if the game were to end with a Revolution win, draw or loss by just one goal.
If you bet the moneyline (+150), you would need the Revolution to win outright. A bet of $100 on a New England win would return $150 in total profits. You can also bet on the game to end in a tie. A draw is a loss for any moneyline bet.
You can also bet the over/under on the total number of goals scored. In the betting line above, the number is set at 2.5, meaning a bet on the over would need three or more combined goals to cash (and fewer than three goals if you bet the under).
Once the betting line comes out, it may fluctuate slightly before kick-off based on the betting action that comes in on either side.
Live MLS betting + apps
Live betting is becoming a prevalent method for betting on soccer games, with a plethora of constantly changing odds to choose from once the game has started.
In addition to betting on changing point spreads, moneylines and totals, you can place micro bets and prop bets not tied to the game’s overall result.
Some popular in-game prop bets might include:
- First-half winner
- Next team to score
- Next player to score
- Both teams to score the rest of the game (y/n)
- Exact final score
Because live sports betting lines are constantly updating throughout the game, you will want to utilize a sportsbook app from your phone to capitalize on the most advantageous live lines available. You’ll have to quickly lock in your live bets before the odds change.
MLS player props & futures
Besides betting on game outcomes and events, you can also bet on the performance of individual players. Player props can either be for a specific game or throughout the entire season.
Popular single-game player props include:
- Player X to score
- Player X to get an assist
- Player X to get a card
- Player X to score on a header
- Player X to score the first goal of the match
Season-long player props involve individual awards and milestones. These futures props include:
- Overall scoring leader (pick a player)
- Assist leader
- Rookie of the Year
- Goalkeeper of the Year
MLS playoff odds
The MLS playoff format is as follows:
- Seven teams from each conference qualify
- The team with the best season-long record in each conference earns a first-round bye
- The remaining 12 teams (seeds No. 2-7 in each conference) face off, with the winners of each game advancing to the quarterfinals (conference semis)
- The top seeds resume action in the second round with a traditional quarterfinals/semis/finals structure
- All games are single elimination
In addition to betting on individual games during the playoffs, you can wager on futures for the MLS Cup and Eastern/Western Conference winners. You can also bet player props similar to during regular-season action (i.e., most goals scored during the playoffs). See above for current MLS playoff odds.
Which teams are the MLS favorites?
While the league has enjoyed a considerable degree of parity over the years, some franchises have stood out with either a record number of MLS Cups, numerous finals appearances or consistently strong results throughout the regular season.
Some notable MLS heavyweights include:
Los Angeles Galaxy
- Stadium: Dignity Health Sports Park
- Location: Carson, CA
- Capacity: 27,000
- Best Finish: MLS Champions (2002, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2014), runners-up (1996, 1999, 2001, 2009)
- Notable Players: Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane, David Beckham
- Stadium: Audi Field
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Capacity: 20,000
- Best Finishes: MLS Champions (1996, 1997, 1999, 2004), runners-up (1998)
- Notable Players: Jaime Moreno, Marco Etcheverry, Christian Gomez
- Stadium: Lumen Field
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Capacity: 72,000
- Best Finishes: MLS Champions (2016, 2019), runners-up (2017, 2020)
- Notable Players: Clint Dempsey, Kasey Keller, Nicolas Lodeiro
New England Revolution
- Stadium: Gillette Stadium
- Location: Foxborough, MA
- Capacity: 65,878
- Best Finishes: Runners-up (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2014)
- Notable Players: Matt Reis, Taylor Twellman, Chris Tierney
Top MLS players from Massachusetts
The Bay State has produced some soccer talent over the years. Some of the top Massachusetts-born players in the MLS include:
- Chris Tierney (Wellesley)
- Mike Burns (Marlborough)
- Frank Booth (Fall River)
- Bruno Bonicontro (Framingham)
- Noel Buck (Arlington)
How do local MLS odds compare to Vegas MLS odds?
Now that legal sportsbooks are available in Massachusetts, you can find MLS odds on the Revolution at local MA sportsbooks to compare with Vegas odds. The main reason is that local fans are more likely to bet on the hometown team. With increased action on New England in local betting markets, the line will be more likely to change locally than nationally.