Today is a big day for any potential Massachusetts sports betting providers looking to have immediate access to the MA market. It is deadline day. Any sports betting company that doesn’t have their initial scoping survey into the state by 5 p.m. today will not be considered for the first issued licenses.
Survey Application Details
The following items are required information that sports betting providers must include in their survey:
- Ownership is interested within the provider
- Provider management structure breakdown
- Investors that work with the provider
These are required before the complete submission of a sports betting provider’s state application. It is important to note that this process is very common, and most sports betting providers are used to doing these types of surveys before submitting their applications.
Related news: Massachusetts Begins Licensing Process For Sportsbooks, Solicits Public Comment
What The Survey Provides Massachusetts
Many potential Massachusetts bettors may wonder why the survey is needed and what they may discover from them.
There are over 40 companies expressing interest in a Massachusetts sports betting license. Through the scoping survey, the public will know exactly who and how many companies are eligible for a Massachusetts sports betting license. It will also help the public find out which companies are seeking specific licenses, as there are seven available untethered digital licenses.
It is also worth noting that the number of companies applying for specific licenses could affect the potential launch timeline for Massachusetts sports betting.
Also read: Raynham Park Hopes To Become A Sports Betting Hub
Potential Massachusetts Sports Betting Launch
The late January timeline that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) has voted on took a lot of time to figure out. The Commission met for two days with an 8-hour hearing before approving their timeline. That includes the launch of in-person sports betting at Massachusetts casinos.
Some commissioners believed a January 2023 timeline was too aggressive. Some commissioners argued that timelines centered around launching before specific sporting events would put undue difficulties on the MGC. At the same time, other commissioners said that it was just the reality of the market, and they understood the aggressive timelines.
Three Types Of Massachusetts Sports Betting Licenses
There are three types of sports betting licenses available in Massachusetts:
- License A: available to the states, two casinos, and one slot parlor. These will allow in-person betting and no more than two individually branded mobile applications.
- License B: available to live horse racing tracks and simulcast racing facilities. These include facilities like Suffolk Downs and Raynham Park. This allows in-person sports betting and no more than one individually branded mobile application at these facilities.
- License C: available to between 3-7 licenses to be issued to different providers through a mobile app or online platform. This license is expected to be competitive, likely with more applicants than available licenses.
Potential Sports Betting Providers
Here is an alphabetical list of the various sports betting companies that have shared publicly that they are submitting a survey:
- 888 US, Inc. (888 Holdings)
- American Wagering, Inc. (Caesars Sportsbook)
- Bally’s Interactive, LLC
- BarberTime Media Network, Inc.
- BetFred USA Sports, LLC
- BetMGM, LLC
- Betr Holdings, Inc.
- Blue Bet USA, Inc.
- Blue Tarp reDevelopment, LLC
- CG Trading, Inc. (MaximBet)
- Commonwealth Equine & Agricultural Center LLC (CEAC)
- Crown MA Gaming, LLC (Draft Kings)
- Digital Gaming Corporation USA
- FanDuel Group, Inc.
- FanLogic, LLC
- FBG Enterprises OPCO, LLC (Bet Fanatics)
- FSST Interactive, LLC (Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe)
- Fubo Gaming Inc. (Fubo Sportsbook)
- G3 Esports, LLC
- GAN Nevada, Inc
- Hillside [New Media Holdings US] Inc. (” Bet365″)
- Massachusetts NYX Digital Gaming (USA), LLC
- Massasoit Greyhound Association, Inc.
- Mohegan Digital, LLC
- Mojo Interactive, Inc. (Mojo)
- Novibet USA, Inc.
- Penn Sports Interactive, LLC (“PSI”).
- Plainville Gaming and Redevelopment, LLC (” PPC)
- PlayStar Gaming Inc.
- PlayUp Interactive MA, LLC (Play Up)
- PointsBet Massachusetts, LLC. (D.B.A PointsBet)
- PT Services (Delaware) LLC dba “Playtech One.”
- RSI MA, LLC (Rush Street Interactive)
- RW BET MA, LLC (Resorts World Bet)
- Seminole Hard Rock Digital, LLC
- SG Gaming, Inc.
- Sportradar Solutions, LLC
- SportsX, LLC
- Sterling Suffolk Racecourse, LLC
- Unibet Interactive, Inc.
- Victory Game Challenge, Inc.
- WSI US, LLC (Wynn BET)