Massachusetts sports betting will launch March 10 at 10 a.m. Whether you place your first bet on that date or wait until the weekend, you are best served to have a strategy for your betting entertainment.
When launch day comes, it’s important to set a limit for yourself. Remember: Don’t bet with money you don’t have. And this is supposed to be for fun — not to make boatloads of cash.
For us, $50 sounds perfect. So here’s how we would spend our first $50 with legal Massachusetts online sports betting — and how we’d use bonus bets to our advantage.
How to spend $50 on Massachusetts online sports betting launch day
Bruins to beat the Red Wings, March 11 at TD Garden
The Bruins are a lock to be the No. 1 seed in the NHL Playoffs, and the sportsbooks list them as favorites to win the Stanley Cup. On Saturday, the Bruins host the Red Wings, a listless franchise that has fallen on hard times. Odds are not out yet, but whatever the moneyline is, we’ll take $15 and bank the easy moneyline win on the Bruins.
READ MORE: Best Massachusetts Sports Betting Promos
The Boston championship parlay
At last check, DraftKings and FanDuel allow customers to make parlays with futures wagers. So, with our next $20, we’re going to lay down a parlay on the Boston Celtics to win the NBA Finals and the Boston Bruins to win the Stanley Cup. As of Wednesday, DraftKings was giving Boston +330 odds in the NBA and +400 in the NHL. That would be a parlay with +2050 for a $430 payout. That was better than what FanDuel had.
World Baseball Classic
Can’t wait to place a bet on baseball? The World Baseball Classic starts this week. On Friday, Pool A action between Panama and Italy (seen at 11 p.m. in the US) will be a good game. Moneyline bets are the best on these international tournaments, because games are typically very low-scoring in the WBC. We’ll either use our final $15 on Panama in the moneyline. Or, we’ll pick the US to win the whole dang thing at +250 odds on DraftKings Massachusetts.
Bonus bets with no deposit
If you want to take advantage of pre-launch offers, FanDuel and BetMGM are giving new customers in Massachusetts these no deposit bonuses:
- Register with BetMGM sports betting app and get $200 in bonus bets.
- Register at FanDuel and get $100 in bonus bets.
It’s early. Massachusetts sports betting is JUST getting started. Don’t pick your final dance partner yet. Register with BetMGM Massachusetts and FanDuel to get a feel for those apps. Here’s how to make it best work for you:
- Treat the BetMGM and FanDuel Massachusetts offers as an opportunity to feel out sports betting and have fun with bonus bets. You’ll receive $300 in combined betting credits from the two popular apps.
- Register with FanDuel and play Gronk’s Challenge, a daily contest featuring Rob Gronkowski. Simply answer a question each day and you’ll be eligible for $10 in bonus bets.
- To celebrate its arrival in Massachusetts, BetMGM is providing $200 in bonus bets (no deposit required). The betting credits are delivered in eight $25 bets, which means you can make eight bets before having to deposit any of your money. The bets expire, so use them before they go away.