Not only are the Boston Celtics in a tight race for the No. 1 seed in the NBA’s Eastern Conference, one of its most celebrated players is in a scrum for the Sixth Man of the Year Award.
Guard Malcolm Brogdon is using his deadly accurate 3-point shooting to put his name among the top contenders for the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award.
BetMGM Massachusetts has the first-year Celtic at -175 to win the honor. The closest challenger is Immanual Quickly of the New York Knicks, in what is a two-player race for the award.
NBA Sixth Man Award betting in Massachusetts
Online sports betting in Massachusetts is now legal, and basketball fans can bet on Brogdon to take home Sixth Man of the Year honors. Here are the odds for the award from BetMGM — no doubt fueled in part by MA bettors:
- Malcolm Brogdon, Celtics (-175)
- Immanuel Quickly, Knicks (+175)
- Bobby Portis, Bucks (+1500)
- Malik Monk, Kings (+1800)
- Norman Powell, Clippers (+5000)
Massachusetts bettors are banking on Brogdon to get the job done. He represents BetMGM’s biggest liability in the Sixth Man of the Year Award market:
- Highest Ticket%: Malcolm Brogdon 16.8%
- Highest Handle%: Malcolm Brogdon 42.8%
- Biggest Liability: Malcolm Brogdon
- Odds Leader: Malcolm Brogdon -175
The NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award was established before the 1982-83 NBA season, and it has a strong tradition with the Celtics. In three of its first four years, a Boston player won the honor: Kevin McHale twice and Bill Walton once.
The award is presented to the player who performs the best in the role coming off the bench and as a substitute for his team.
Five Hall of Famers have been presented the honor: McHale, Walton, Bobby Jones, Toni Kukoč and Manu Ginóbili. Only two players, Jamal Crawford and Lou Williams, have won it as many as three times.
Brogdon is looking to become the first Celtic to garner the Sixth Man award since Walton for the 1985-86 season. He is shooting an astounding 45.7% from beyond the 3-point line, the best mark in the NBA. As a result, he’s averaging 14.7 points per game for Boston, which trails Milwaukee for the No. 1 seed by 2.5 games entering games on March 16.
Brogdon shining in Boston
A little over three weeks ago, BetMGM priced Quickley at +25000. But since Feb. 24, the Knicks’ sixth man has averaged 20.1 points, 3.8 assists and 4.8 rebounds per game, and he’s shot 40% from 3-point range.
But Brogdon’s consistent production throughout his first season in Celtic green has made the seven-year veteran backcourt player the favorite to win the Sixth Man award. He’s scored at least 20 points in 15 of his 58 games, despite rarely topping 30 minutes on the floor.
Before joining Boston, Brogdon was a starter during stints with Indiana and Milwaukee. He averaged as much as 21.2 points per game, which he did in the 2020-21 season for the Pacers.
“I think what I bring to the team, this is something that the team is missing in some ways,” Brogdon told NBC Sports last October. “I think my versatility will show. I think it will shine.”
BetMGM Sportsbook insights on NBA Awards
In addition to Sixth Man of the Year Award odds, BetMGM MA also gives bettors the chance to bet on other NBA awards.
This data was provided to PlayMA by BetMGM Sportsbook:
NBA Regular Season MVP
- Highest Ticket%: Luka Doncic 16.6%
- Highest Handle%: Nikola Jokic 27.6%
- Biggest Liability: Nikola Jokic
- Odds Leader: Nikola Jokic (-200)
Rookie of the Year
- Highest Ticket%: Paolo Banchero 22.6%
- Highest Handle%: Paolo Banchero 52.7%
- Biggest Liability: Keegan Murray
- Odds Leader: Paolo Banchero (-10000)
Most Improved Player of the Year
- Highest Ticket%: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 11.7%
- Highest Handle%: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 23.7%
- Biggest Liability: Zion Williamson
- Odds Leader: Lauri Markkanen (-450)
Defensive Player of the Year
- Highest Ticket%: Jaren Jackson Jr. 14.7%
- Highest Handle%: Jaren Jackson Jr. 32.0%
- Biggest Liability: Jaren Jackson Jr.
- Odds Leader: Brook Lopez (-150)
Coach of the Year – currently off the board
- Highest Ticket%: Willie Green 21.5%
- Highest Handle%: Joe Mazzulla 30.9%
- Biggest Liability: Willie Green
- Odds Leader: N/A